July 19th. Today was spent mostly preparing for the
parent presentation (midterm
including a rehersal for the presentation in the afternoon.
The morning was spent in groups, the stable glider team spent the morning
making a one meter mockup of the two meter glider,
the membrane design team spent
the morning perfecting and testing more of their
membrane designs, (especially to
make their one meter stable glider fly...) and the mechanical support team
provided much needed (?) support. Though the bulk
of the day was spent preparing for the
parent presentation, the morning was still somewhat productive.
was very interesting. We had a short morning meeting
to discuss how the
presentation for the parents went and what each group’s goals were. The
stable glider group was designing their final 3 foot glider. The mechanical support
team worked on landing gear and helped all the other groups build anything they
needed built. The membrane group finally has a stable 3 foot glider so they’re
playing around with different options for tensioning the wing. At the end
of the day all the teams gathered for a quick wrap up in which they told
teams where they were in their design process and what they had accomplished
that day. In the afternoon Bob Parks came in and talked to the team about
various mechanical problems we'd been having and how to use servos effectively
started the day with a big presentation from Axel about
how we needed to get in gear to be able to finish in time. We divided up
by tasks, each person got
2 tasks to be a part of. The final pterosaur was divided into tasks: Head/fuselage,
membrane wings/flapping, control surfaces, pitch control, yaw stability,
SolidWorks, documentation, calculations, and beautification.
We also started a new timeline,
one that we hope we will be able to follow.
After lunch, a couple of the groups got together to talk about all the different
designs and narrowed the design down to the final design to be used. Discussions
continued until the end of the day until we started our end of the day meeting.
After that, we followed Steve Collie down to the Stanford Biomotion lab,
where he had been all day scanning bones into CAD, and a couple of us stood
the scanner and had our “pictures” taken. We were then able to
see a 3D scan of us on the computer screen, and were able to rotate our scans.
team came in ready to go with tasks assigned from the
day before. Each group
met with Axel briefly to discuss the day’s plans. The head/fuselage group
worked on carving the head and fuselage out of foam. By the end of the morning,
though, they realized they did not have adequate tools for carving the complex
shapes of the pterosaur. Erica, Daniela and Pey-Jiun then set off in search of
a hot wire, finally finding it in San Mateo. Meanwhile, PJ and Clark ventured
off to Aero Micro in Cupertino, scouting for possibly useful parts. The membrane
group continued work as usual on their 3’ wing span glider. In the afternoon,
the shoppers returned and continued work where they left off. The head/fuselage
group finished up the major carving on both parts and planned out the tasks for
the following week. Other groups rapped up what they were working on and updated
the timeline to the best of their ability. The calculations spread sheet was
finished as well. Just before the end of the day, the team reconvened and discussed
the day’s progress. The question arose of coming in the next day to
continue work, but was not popular enough that it was worth while.